Monday, March 2, 2009

What About Matzohs?



Enter my other heritage half, with fond memories of first seders and chicken soup containing feet. "Shh," said my parents, "just eat around them!" Funny, I recently learned that the feet have the highest gelatinous qualities and are sought by the serious soup chef!! I'm sure my Dad knew, with his ability to satisfy my every query with an interesting response!

He introduced me to Webster (before Webster married Merriam), Roget and Gulliver and fed my soul with stories, words, music and love. He's my Editor-In-Chief to this day, residing on my shoulder, influencing my thoughts.  It's Impossible (Perry Como) to speak of today without remembering yesterday.

He introduced me to Perry, Nat, Doris, Rosemary, Mario, Dean, Frank, Al; "The Jazz Singer" (Jolson) and "The Student Prince".  He segued with me to The Brothers Everly, Ricky, Johnny, Brenda, John, Paul, George, Ringo, Bobby, Dion, Neil, Elvis, and took me to Freedomland to see my idols, sitting through double shows. No musical generation gap here, 'cause It's Impossible (Elvis).

It is impossible to keep from wishing that he had lived to see Neil's version of "The Jazz Singer" and to hear the current mega-star version of  Somos Novios!  Please link:
I'm inspired by my roots and just love being a Matzoh-Pizza from Massapequa! Now, for some "Two-Day Jewish Penicillin":

Toss a chicken, onions, carrots, celery, garlic and sweet/white potatoes into your stockpot; cover with water and simmer away.  When it smells delicious, drain off the liquid to cool and refrigerate.  Night 1: have boiled chicken and veggies.  Night 2:  skim fat from broth; add shredded leftover chicken and diced veggies; bring to a simmer and add some quick-cooking noodles, parsley and pepper.  For extra oomph, scramble an egg and slowly stir into simmering liquid, allowing it to thread. 
Bon Appetit!