Sunday, November 28, 2010

Reflecting On Gratitude ♡



Do y'all know Tita from LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE? It is a fantastic book, in which her character is only able to express emotion through the food she prepares. In a magical way, it then becomes powerful in its effects on those who consume it. Whenever I cook "big" and consider the sensual attributes of food, I think of the (link) book and Phil, Joe's best friend in life. My friend, too, he was also one of my best book mentors; he recommended this very one. Segue to the holiday and Thanksgiving 1970... 

Brian was a tiny infant, and we were supposed to go to my parents' home on the Island. We awakened to two feet of fresh snow on Turkey Morn; the roads were impassable and a little disappointment did set in. Quick to rebound, we gave thanks for our own little branch of the family and began to thaw the turkey I had coincidentally purchased, the week prior. As soon as the plows went through, Phil came up to us and with Joe proceeded to fetch Joe's Grandparents, stranded by the storm. I cooked... and cooked... and cooked. Some things never change. Smile. Thus was Bri's first drumstick... an indelible and delicious memory. Honestly, I have so many wonderful Thanksgiving memories; but for now, it's 
back to the present...

We had a great holiday 2010. When I looked around my table, I was over-
whelmed by beautiful, happy faces. The Grands all kicked into high gear, the very second they reunited. Grandpa's hats appeared and the playroom was descended upon. A "show" was in the works - rehearsal mandatory. There was a Michaela Jackson and a 
thrice-chapeau'd character.
Visiting Fiona at 35 pounds was doing backflips over 130-pound Mambo.

 A sleepover for our long distance kids made for a no-pressure visit and afforded time for gingerbread house-building in the morning. We all missed Dawn, but knew that she was having fun, too.

For me, GivingThanks is for every day, but...
ThanksGiving is a wonderful holiday.
Departed loved ones are forever in my and
were never far from my thoughts.

Always, I say, "Grazie Dio."