Monday, August 6, 2012

Tink In The Garden?

If you've ever created a habitat for Hummers, you'll understand my excitement. Joe and I have been enthralled by them, all summer long. Um, have I mentioned this before??? :-) Our most recent rewards are (1) they've become accustomed to us and Mambo, not too shy to hover in our space; and (2) they've successfully reproduced, noted by sightings of offspring no larger than my pinky finger.
Mambo and I had a busy morning. It took hours for me to groom him and remove boatloads of hair. We were due for a rest. After a quick dip in the pool, I sat in the sun, pooch faithfully by my side. I sensed something over my shoulder and noticed a winged shadow on the patio. Funny how it immediately brought the Darling kids and Tink to mind. I saw it as a photo challenge and proceeded to set NIK on the tripod. The wait began. Several Hummers darted about, from flowers to feeders and back again. Lo and behold, one needed a rest. 
Bingo! What a thrilling capture! No flash and a 400 ISO setting, here.
Update - Dining Al Fresco: It seems as though this one is territorial, if, in fact, it's the same bird. It spent most of our dinnertime at what now seems to be a "claimed" feeding station, in the same tree used earlier for perching. NIK was off the tripod and it was almost dark, so I used an auto flash setting. 
Now, that's entertainment.