Sunday, October 27, 2013

Reigning Surpreme

Circa 1960 or so
It's a year tomorrow that Marge joined her Gus. But it was on this Sunday of the month that we were with Mom for her last hours of life... life as we know it. A brutal time, but a blessing to have been with her, as we were with Dad, albeit far too many decades ago.

The priest who tended to her funeral service said it best:
"You know, you have to celebrate your Mom's long life."
And I do. As a family, we do.

Thoughts abound when a butterfly flutters by or a Mandevilla bloom opens or her Jade plant needs watering. A million times a week there's a reason to remember. Thankfully, we've emerged from the darkness of her awful last months, having returned to the light of beautiful years prior.

And if one believes in an afterlife simulating what we know on earth, there's reason to laugh. Ronnie, Joe and I do it best, when we think of the tap on a wine glass, signifying the need for a refill... or the "Guuuuus," when help is required... or the coffee awaiting her awakening, left on her night-table by ever-lovin' Gus.

So, it is with sadness and a sprinkling of humor that I remember; and since this photo was still on display in her home, I've chosen it to make my point. I'm guessin' it's how she'd like to be remembered. But I have to say, there's a story, even here. When it was captured during a cruise on the Italia, Mom was very seasick. She mustered up a slight smile, not quite as glowing as Dad's huge one. But hey, royalty never disappoints.

I do believe that there is a non-sectarian Heaven, where loved ones reunite. And I'm thinkin' that this royal couple is in charge. 

My parents:
 Gorgeous. Smart. Caring. Sharing. Affectionate. Moral. Regal.

Loving. Loved.