Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"Aloha From Hawaii"

Recently, Joe and I had reason to speak of The King's 1973 performance from Hawai'i, the first ever live-via-satellite TV show. It was a benefit concert to raise $$$ for a new wing on an Island hospital, in memory of a young Hawaiian performer who had sadly died of the disease. Elvis fans know he was a great humanitarian. His drummer, visible at the very beginning of the video, is the fantastic Ron Tutt, who for many decades since has been in ND's band, in addition to having played with every name famous in the Rock 'n' Roll genre. I am always intrigued by the few degrees of separation between mega-talented musicians; but, I digress.
The year of '73 was amazingly special for us, as we were blessed in July by the birth of our beautiful youngest Son. And then there are the Islands, forever my favorite place on earth. The concert was and still is incredible; I must replace my worn out video with a new DVD. Ahhhhhh, Elvis: