Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grand Love

Matriarch Gran Overseeing The Shindig
You've all met my Gran, the one and only Queen Mary... remember? Linked is my 2009 tribute; but she's been the star on CMI numerous times. She was clearly royalty and a woman born long before her time, in terms of knowing who she was and why she was here. Liberated. Gloria Steinem, are you reading? If my calculations are correct, this combination of party animal and angel of mercy would be turning one hundred and twenty years old, today. If I've miscalculated, Ronnie or one of my cousins will be quick to correct me.

Party Frock Handmade by Gran
We always did birthdays up big-time. Here's little me, wearing a special frock made by Gran. I'd give up both pinky fingers to have that gorgeous piece of artwork in my possession today, as it was borne from the talented hands of a once professional seamstress. In the above photo, I am surrounded by Mom, Gran, Dad and Aunt Vee... another year and another birthday at Gran's summer bungalow, where she constantly hosted mobs of us, for this celebration or that. (Standing to the left, you'll see baby Cousin Dale of Cape Cod fame, in his Mom's arms.) See the hutch directly behind them? It resides in my living room, to this day, refinished in Grand style. Ah, if only it could speak.

Today, I'm reminded of another birthday... my own Sweet 16, brought to mind because of Michelle, who has waited patiently to celebrate her very own significant date.

Way back when, I was given the choice of a party or a trip with Gran. Well, that was a no-brainerWith her fear of flying still in mind (later to be evaporated by a forced flight from Italy to France), she, Ronnie and I took off for Florida, where we spent Spring break. Mode of travel? Train. Twenty-four hours of train... one way. I can set myself into motion by just thinking about itDad took me shopping for "a" bathing suit; I ended up with three, 'cause I couldn't decide on just one. Mom came home with seven dresses, purchased with her employee discount at A & S's. I wore one of them on Easter Sunday, to go to church and Uncle Rocco's (Gran's crazy brother), for dinner. The other six returned by train, tags on. "Why?" you ask...

Sure, we were supposed to go back to the uncle's home in Hollywood, Florida. But Ronnie and I begged and pleaded to stay at the beach/pool, in Miami. Gran was so easy. She aimed to please us. WHAT A BLAST WE HAD. I'll never forget that vacation, and I can see the photo of Gran in her bathing suit, in my mind's eye. 
I can't find it, right now; but I shall.

Many anecdotes comes to mind, but I must mention one more. Legend has it that Gran was once partying hard with family that included one Uncle Dave, whom I did not know. They were dancing fast and furiously, when both went down. I can picture that as well as I can my roommate, who upon receiving a phone call in the middle of the night would arise, pack, and be off to help someone in need.

Ah, sweet memories. Gone so long and yet here she is, making me laugh and cry at the same time.

That's Gran.