Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dining 'Round 'n' 'Round

Saying "Au Revoir" to 2012



Joe and I recently watched a PBS special about survival in Alaska, where warmer seasons are spent almost entirely in the pursuit of food to allow for survival of Mother Nature's winter wrath. We were intrigued by the fact that life itself revolves around the hunt and its ensuing meal. Oh, so it's not just us with the food obsession? (Tongue-in-cheek, here!)

We were reminded of long, hot and steamy Gulf-side days, spent in Florida. While the boys experienced sandy, surfy bliss, he and I would ponder the question, "What's for dinner?" This, of course, was after we'd jogged and walked for surf-side miles, thus allowing big-time splurges. Ah, those were the days when spaghetti portions didn't have to be counted by the strand! I digress. He'd hunt. I'd cook. A fair deal, I think. Clearly, we're food obsessed. I blame it on my Matzoh-Pizza roots; he blames it on my cooking skills. Thank you, Honey.

There is simply nothing like bonding around a table while enjoying delicious fare, every meal constituting valuable time spent together in the celebration of life and direct conversation, with no device or TV interruption... hardcore time. And so...

First Breakfast of the New Year


Master Of The House (too much "Les Mis!") scored cool crustaceans, and thus we said, "So long," to 2012. It was a tough year, albeit it sprinkled with good times, lots of lovin', and the miracle of birth in Baby Lyla. "Hello" to 2013 came by way of a Buffalo breakfast, compliments of our cousins. I switched up the Farmers & Artisans pancake mix a tad and made boat waffles, topped with homemade strawberry sauce, as per adventures with the kids for Mom's last birthday. 

Even the birds know... it's all about sustenance.



Thanks to my parents and Gran for endless hours spent 'round the table... delicious lovin' to be shared by all...


Soul Food.