Monday, January 28, 2013

Hot Off The Hook - Batik Basket

It's funny how that pattern from my virtual inspiration, Zu, and the resulting hat set me off on this manic desire to make baskets. Hey, if you can crochet a hat, you understand. Go for it... no pattern necessary... just let the hook do its thing...

Bringing me to the ginormous (or so I thought) piece of batik I bought a couple summers ago. It was intended for the sewing of twin pareos - one for me and one for my girl, Aubs. Well, that never happened and there it sat.
****
TV time alone is far too wasteful during long winter nights, so these hands must be kept busy and productive. I can still hear my biggest fan, Gran, telling me, "Honey, you have hands of gold." Talk about a self-esteem builder, eh? And coming from Gran, whose handmade designs on her factory Singer were exquisite and Manhattan-elite worthy. Thank you, Gran, for all the encouragement you gave me, no matter how simplistic or awful my projects were. I love her so much - the most dynamite woman I've ever known and from a decade that tried so desperately to diminish our importance. I seriously digress...
****
The fabric fast became strips and with a fat hook and ever-threatening Carpal Tunnel, I worked up this heavy, washable item. But let me say, what seemed to be so much material was eaten in no time at all. That huge floor basket I have in mind will take yards and yards. For the record, strips should be sewn; but in this dense work, staples disappear. Shhh; don't tell anyone.
Easter is coming... the Rabbit needs to stay occupied.