Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hot-Mess Quiche - A Recipe To Revise

The info-mercial about bacon basket-makers caught my interest, though they are not something I'd want cluttering my cabinets. I haven't eaten bacon in about thirty years. It wasn't a staple when the boys were growing  up, either, thanks to the salt, nitrates and nitrites. They did, however, con Mom/Nan into making it for them quite often. Shhhh - I wasn't supposed to knowNow, the entire family enjoys turkey bacon. So, I do cook it. Still don't eat it, though. But I'm open to new ideas...

With the above in mind and combined with the fact that I'm always looking for G-F recipes for Dawn, I was inspired to make the kitschy quiche pictured. It took a pound of bacon. What a mess… don't bother… instead of this…
Lay bacon out on a cookie sheet and bake till one side is nice and brown. Sop up any fat you can with paper towels and arrange, browned side down, into quiche pan. Pop back into the oven to brown what will be the inside "crust". 
Other means to this...
Not worth the mess!

Fill, season and bake for about an hour at 325 degrees, depending upon how full your quiche is. Amazingly, just the edges of the bacon brown too much. If there's a next time, I'll work on that.

Lookin' and smellin' good, but not for me. Judgment to come.

Buon Appetito.