Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Asian Penicillin?


Every ethnic group has a version of chicken soup, aka Jewish penicillin. Just this past weekend, Friend PV told me she felt ill. The only food that held any appeal was a tame variety of this healer. Today, I had a hankering for an Asian version; sooooooooooooo....

With five skinless thighs, some carrots, onions, celery, garlic and several slices of fresh ginger (key!), I began a broth, allowing it to simmer till the entire house was perfumed. Then, I strained it and put the liquid in the fridge, so as to skim off any fat. Meanwhile, I brought water to a boil for a small handful of broken angel hair pasta (the real deal).... and.... I rinsed and nuked 8 oz. of shirataki tofu noodles (the fake stuff with barely a calorie); rinsed again and cut through them to shorten. Check out the photo to see that you can barely tell one noodle from the other!

I returned the garlic, cut carrots, shredded chicken and all noodles to the broth, adding sliced scallions and lots of freshly ground pepper. The remaining veggies (and some of the chicken) will make it into a frittata, tomorrow. Soup is nice served in a low bowl. Use your prettiest chopsticks for effect; but sneak out a nice soup spoon, too!

I'd love to write "Buon Appetito" using Chinese symbols; but that's not gonna happen. You get the gist!