Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Study In Contrasts


This beautiful Japanese Maple might be a familiar sight, as it is home to our bird feeders and frequently pictured on CMI. You know me well by now, and of course, there is a story associated to it. Nearly forty years ago, the tree was professionally planted by a local nursery in the front yard of our home; it was guaranteed for one year. Only half survived the first winter; and it was then replaced by the gorgeous Weeping Crabapple, recently shown here in bloom. On the day of the exchange, I asked the nurseryman what he'd be doing with the live half of the tree, and he responded, "Tossing it." Said I, "May I purchase it back from you?" "Sure; just give me ten bucks." Soooooooo, I did just that, and we planted it in our backyard. Hey, where there's life, there's hope! Whatever the season, it is just exquisite, don't you think? We trim it rather drastically every year; it would reach the sky by now, were that chore to be neglected. I love our ten-dollar-half-a-tree!