Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Just ♡ Huck Et Moi ♡


Huck decided that we needed a kayak to explore the Basha
Kill from the inside looking out, rather than by land, as depicted in my SaturdayShoot entry, last March. Please note the power of suggestion, as per the older photos. First launch occurred this afternoon; and I must admit, he was right. It has certainly taken us long enough.

You see, Huck has lived sixty-four years with the wetlands in his proverbial backyard. Et moi? Well, as did my Mom before me, I spent my childhood summers with Gran, here in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Then, Huck and I wed; we've lived here ever since. 

As a child traveling back and forth to our summer home, it was the imagery of the green mountains that always intrigued me.... criss-cross, criss-cross, criss-cross. I must have drawn hundreds of pictures for my parents. It was incredible to see "our mountains" from today's perspective. They inspired me to draw again, as a child would. Way back when, I used paper, pencil and lots of green Crayola crayons. Today, I played in photoshop. Smile.
I really loved today's outing, and I do thank Huck. He worked hard, paddling through thick, murky waters, with lots of gorgeous birds, and yellow water-lily flowers. Another memory surfaced - that of my Mom asking my Dad to cut her some lilies and pads from our Massapequa lake. She would then float them in a bowl of water, for indoor decor. Sweet.

We discovered that another direction affords clear, lily-free waters, combined with much less arduous arm effort. What a view! I'd follow Huck just about anywhere to commune with nature in such a soothing and beautiful setting. Maybe next time, Huck will remember to leave the cell phone home. Gotta luv 'im.