Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wonder

In our recent approach to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, we thought we might have erred in taking a wrong turn. Sooooo, we got off at the next available exit to seek directions. We found ourselves in a desperate neighborhood... a New Yorker can always tell, as we're instructed from driving age on to beware of danger lying beyond undesirable ramps. This is not a judgment of any kind, as I believe the paths of our lives follow the luck of the draw. I know, I know... we can make some of our own luck; but that's for another day. Meanwhile:

One lone African-American man walked the impoverished streets; we pulled up next to him. He looked startled, his guard up. After greeting him and asking directions, he told us to go the the local firehouse for guidance, pointing in its direction. As Joe turned the car, I spotted yet another man on a bicycle, approaching Gentleman #1. If you can picture this, we were now headed in the opposite direction and across a median. I saw the Biker heading towards us, yelling for us to pull over. Now, Joe's guard peaked. Instinct told me it was okay, and I asked Joe to stop. We disagreed for a brief distance, he pulled over, and we awaited Biker's arrival. "You're here, you're here," he told us excitedly, as he pointed to an exit ramp about sixty feet away. He continued, "I asked him (#1) why he didn't just tell you; he's such a knucklehead!" 

Joe slipped me a few $$$'s, since Biker was at my window. He smiled the broadest smile ever, thanking us with his eyes, as I handed it to him. He proceeded to tell us that he was on his way to bring a can of gas to a stranded driver on "the bridge". Surviving the life. I'll always wonder (verb) about him, his kind face embedded in my brain.

Speaking of wonder (noun), you must take the link above to the CBBT; its history is amazing... and, it is considered one of the most incredible engineering wonders (noun) in the world. We've been crossing it since the sixties, when it was just opened. I love the bridge part; I nearly panic underwater. It's a trip, no pun intended.