Saturday, June 12, 2010

To Scam Or Not To Scam

For about six months, I've been receiving endless copies of VOGUE and WORKING MOTHER magazines. Each V issue must weigh in at about two pounds. Most of that weight can be attributed to ads - the rest to style. A quick glance and a toss to the landfill are followed by garbage guilt. I'm trying to think green. In yesterday's mail, I received a bill for my expiring subscription.
SCAM.

On the other side of the proverbial coin, there is Netflix. Friend PV has been touting its virtues since the inception of our friendship. Finally, an offer I couldn't resist: one month free, with no credit card info, after which $8.99 per month allows me unlimited rentals, one at a time. Now, this is a price I can deal with. Two pay-per rentals add up to $10.00; and one DVD purchase is about the same. There are no cancellation restrictions. And there is no garbage, save for one sheet of paper from an efficient two-way mailer.
NOT A SCAM.

Thanks, PV. If you haven't watched (link) "Abby And Ira" yet, do so. It's fantastic, with enough neuroses to negate whatever it is we deem to be normalcy. Our first successful stab at Netflix.

Excuse me, please, while I go queue up.