Sunday, September 29, 2013

Robert Redford on Both Sides Now - "The Company You Keep"

There shall always be naysayers, when it comes to R. R. Superstar. But I'll just say good things, as is evident by his multiple starring roles, here on CMI. So in searching for a movie, yesterday morning, it was a double punch of surprise and pleasure to find "The Company You Keep" on demand. I knew nothing of the film, so I gave my favorite source of reviews a quick hit. NY TIMES moviegoers gave it a decent rating... double the pleasure, 'cause I would have watched, regardless. I digress...

Mr. R. is on both sides of the camera, directing and acting in this political thriller about a past member of the Weather Underground (Redford) being revealed by a young reporter with something to prove (LaBeouf). The media aspect of the film is totally current. Here, the FBI is challenged to solve the "where 'n' why" before the story breaks in an Albany, NY, newspaper. 

We were amazed to see a score of old favorites. Sure, the "old" is literal, but what a thrill to see them on the big screen, once again: Sam Elliott (I want more!), Nick Nolte, Julie Christie, Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci, in no particular order.

We settled in for a fabulous two-hour chase, scoring Mr. R. at 77 years of age and his film with our top honors... 10's all around.

It's almost the time of year for another look at my all-time favorite film. Ahem.
"The Way We Were" is taking on new meaning, daily, as I age along with my favorite superstars.

This one's for (link) Mom and her secret pleasure.