Monday, March 15, 2010

Roots

Kodaks sure do have a way of stopping time. Surely I have better beach photos of Aunt Vee (photo in thread below); but my excitement upon discovering "Big Doins At The Village Barn" halted my search. Lots of history is revealed in this classic!

If you've followed my blog, I thank you and ask that you recall my mention of Gran's liberal way of thinking - long, long before it was suggested by Steinem types. Well, check her out, here amongst her daughters and cronies. Only in New York would my Inspirations be hangin' out at a rocking hoedown in a (link) GreenwichVillageEstablishment. Mom recalls that Aunt Vee worked for the American Hotel Association, during the pre-war 1940's. The boss, a Mr. Chasen, took a liking to my fiery Aunt, often gifting her complimentary passes to NY eateries. Mom mentions that even she was allowed to tag along with Big Sis, with whom she'd ride the train to "work", where little jobs would be found for her. I really need to scour her brain more, with pictures such as this in hand. 
How about the (link) WalterWinchell and (link) JimmyJemail references. Jeesh; I'm getting a history lesson here, to boot!

Yes, great New York women have certainly afforded me some pretty awesome roots.