Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When Cultures Collide

In just a couple of hours, NY time, we'll all be Irish; it's tradition. I love colliding cultures. Growing up, it was the norm in our household, to the point of my creating a sign for Christmas of 1964. It read, "Welcome To Firemark's League Of Nations." Joe first met my extended family that year; he quickly got the gist of our blend.

Cultures collide immaculately when music is involved. My Irish ND pal, Michael, sees Neil in Croke Park, Dublin, where the fans are just as devoted, wild and crazy as those in the States. No divide. Music - the universal language - obliterating differences.

Michael thought to introduce me to Liam Clancy, an amazing Irish folk singer who sadly passed away not too long ago. He sent the video below, knowing that I'd love the Dylan connection... or, shall I say collision. Liam's exuberance is surpassed by none... and his eyes are truly windows to his soul. 

When I began to write this entry, I realized that I had seen Liam before. He appeared in "No Direction Home", the 2005 Martin Corcese chronicle about Bob Dylan's musical evolution. So, if you're reading, Michael, I plan to watch the amazing film again, paying better attention this time.

Whew... it's taking me far too long to say, 
"Happy St. Patrick's Day... enjoy the wearin' of the green!"
(sorry - video removed by YouTube)