Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's Not What You Think!

This time of year, I've requested that Joe please ignore sprouts in the ground. He attempts to help, by weeding; but even I often forget just what is planted where. One such plant has been growing rapidly for a few weeks now, and I thought it a weed... until today. Now, I see tons of little purple buds on it, reminding me that it is my coveted Silver Dollar Plant, also known as Honesty Plant or Money Plant, and scientifically as Lunaria. It grew wildly behind my Gran's summer cottage. As a kid, I was intrigued by its seed pods. Each pretty little flower turns into a coin-shaped, transparent pod. I'm pretty sure I once blogged about this; but I continue to forget that I planted some seeds a few years back. It is erratic, some years producing very little "gelt"... others, a bumper crop. This looks to be a good year. Rather than pilfering an image of the end result, I'll patiently await my own photo op. Meanwhile, the weedy-looking thing was saved. Whew! "STOP" with Hunter, taken last year at his favorite ice cream stand in his hometown.