Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sea Salad - A Rice Cooker Experiment

Warm Rice Cooker Sea Salad For Two
After my most recent (link) episode with Chinese food, I've been leery of touching the stuff. I don't miss it, exactly; but I do miss my weekly dose of brown and white rice. Soooooo, I'm back to cooking it. On Christian's recommendation, I purchased a Panasonic 3-cup (link) rice cooker, sized perfectly for me and Joe. I've been experimenting. Here's a recipe for today's resulting dish.

Rice Cooker Sea Salad

Chop reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes, saving the liquid

Finely chop 1/4 large or 1 small sweet onion

Cut about 12 oz. fish into chunks... I mistakenly took out one steak each of halibut and mahi mahi... but anything goes. Season with garlic powder, paprika and freshly ground pepper

Put all of the above plus some EVOO into the cooker and start, covered

Watch closely; it cooks fast. I stirred it a couple of times and then removed fish, as soon as it tested done... you don't want to overcook to rubbery. Some tasty juices were created.

Now, cook your rice of choice in the amount needed, as per cooker instructions. I used long-grained, white jasmine, today. Be sure to use that saved tomato water. YUM.

To serve hot or at room temp, spread rice on a platter and cover it with the fish mixture. Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice. I topped with chopped garden chives and pimento olives. This is a very flexible dish; you can crumble on your favorite cheese and whatever else you'd like.

-Healthy...Buon Appetito.