Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guitar Heroes

Have I mentioned that I love the guitar? It's my favorite instrument. AOL's (link) piece on best guitar riffs is FANtastic; it comes with videos! What a thrill to find Mark Knopfler's "Money For Nothing" on the list. For me, there's a lot of history steeped in this fabulous song. When it was time to choose senior prom attire and at my suggestion, Bri jazzed up his tux, à la Dire Straits. Then, during early deejay gigs, he'd play this favorite of mine, as Joe and I walked into venues. 

Another connection: When a favorite Neil Diamond guitarist, Richie Bennett, left "our band", he hooked up with Monsieur Knopfler, making the loss a little less difficult to accept.

So, as tough as it is to pick just one riff, here's my opportunity to share with you a big and favorite chunk of music history. I've gone for the longer, YouTube version, with guest stars. Do you have eight minutes?
Rock 'n' Roll is SO here to stay!