Friday, February 11, 2011

"Nothin' Says Lovin'..."

Since childhood, I've felt it important to express Valentine's Day love with something handmade - my way of saying to my significant others, "I really do love you."  ♥  I'm pretty confident that Mom has a box of doily-embellished cards, tucked away somewhere. For Joe, I baked lots of lovin' into that somethin' from the oven. His favorite cookies require a special vehicle, for the giving. An empty oatmeal container works well. Try this:
Tear up leftover Christmas tissue paper and pull the "lace" off of those doilies that are sitting in the drawer. 
Make a batch of decoupage glue by diluting Elmer's, and go to it. Continue till you've used every bit of paper... layer it... scrunch it... and for effect, salt it, being sure to do so over the bowl.


Allow to dry thoroughly; then decorate with ribbon and sentiments. Fill to the brim,
 but not before you check out decoupage creations from years gone by. Do you remember those big Pringles containers, popular when Brian and Christian were babes? Here ya go:
And speaking of babes, our Grands shall each receive age-appropriate Valentine's books, along with handmade coloring books. The latter are self-serving, as I hope to be the recipient of some return artwork. Wraps are cut manilla envelopes, more tissue and heart-y ribbon. 
Love grows.
♥♥♥♥