Thursday, April 7, 2011

Just Call Me Nick





Bri spoke at an excep-
tionally young age... precisely, clearly and with an impressive vocabulary... he was just a year and a few months old. When he was two, he realized from Joe's and my references that Mommy and Daddy were also Nick and Joe. He began calling us by our names. I recall thinking, at that time, how very intelligent he was for observing the association.

I vividly remember a shopping trip, during that period. Another patron overheard him talking away to me, calling me by name. She stopped me to ask why I wasn't correcting him. "Aren't you his mother?" I responded with a proud "Yes!" and an explanation that he would return to "Mommy" on his own, being such a brilliant child. :-) She looked at me like I was nuts, just as I thought her humorless.

Sure enough, in a few months time and with no reprimands, Bri resumed calling us by our parental monikers. 

All this happiness came flooding back to me yesterday, when Gavin disappeared with instructions for me to stay out of his dining room, while he worked on a project. 

How precious my rainbow...Color Me Inspired