Thursday, December 1, 2011

Venison #2 - Backstrap Delight

We spotted Santa, today!
Circa 1984Handmade by 
Moi for my boys of all ages.
It's incredible to think that I'm eating venison, at all, let alone doing so on two nights, this week. Joe's a happy camper. We're impressed by the quality of the meat and the ease of preparation, for the better cuts. Then, there are the rave reviews for its nutritional benefits. We've also noticed that what seems to be a small amount of meat makes us feel stuffed, after very few mouthfuls. Pure, lean protein.

Even this novice knows that the backstrap is the prime cut; and there is very little of it, even from a 140-pound victim. I pounded ours with a mallet and marinated for several hours in EVOO (my best), Balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Do this in the fridge, as venison is fragile and can spoil quickly. While the broiler was getting hot-hot, I made two rolls around my rustic sun-dried tomato crumbs and then dredged the rolls in more crumbs. Under the element they went for about two minutes on each side, after which I sliced and placed back on the hot pan. I returned to the off-oven, till drinks were poured. Results were amazing.

Okay, okay, it fell apart... but you can actually see how juicy the end result was. And what looked like barely enough gave us leftovers for Joe's lunch, tomorrow. YUM.