Monday, December 5, 2011

Venison #3 - Roast

This year's fabulous butcher returned everything perfectly packaged and marked. I took a totally fat-free, 2 1/2-pound roast out of the freezer... it looked like a London broil cut. 
I sliced it from the center and out towards both sides and pounded it with Dad's mallet. Then, I seasoned with a healthy spritz of EVOO, dijon mustard, Balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and breadcrumbs.

After bringing it together and over-
lapping the sides a bit, I skewered and seared on both sides in a bit more olive oil, on the stove. In went a cut onion, more spices, crumbs and another spritz. It roasted in a pre-heated 300-degree oven for 50 minutes (basted once), after which I turned off the heat and left it in for another half hour. It was rested and ready to slice. It's all trial and error, with venison. But I will say that we rated it at about a 7 on the tender scale and a 10 in flavor... no gaminess. I served with jasmine rice and crudites; lots of leftovers. Not too shabby, for Night #3 of venison. We find that cold leftovers are tender and salad or sandwich worthy. Buon Appetito.