Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cucina News 'n' Delicious Turkey Burgers a New Way

Proper, Round-Bowl Spoons… Bye-Bye, Ovals
This winter's food trend has leaned heavily towards brothier, lighter soups, rather than the immersion-blender varieties of the past few years. You know. The ones that I processed the cooked veggies into. Hey, I'm Ms. Resident Chef, so I get to call the fare. But Joe reminds me that he prefers the chowdery blends you can stand a spoon in. Bringing me to flatware…

The currently common oval spoons are ridiculously shallow and awful for maintaining proper etiquette, as one tries not to slurp thinner liquids. I found myself serving in mugs and drinking, after first doing battle with solid ingredients. How juvenile. And Joe… well, he had his own special technique, but we solved the issue with these spoons from Chef's. Highly recommended. We're back to favorite bowls and pinky-extended delicacy. Whoop, whoop. Moving along…
Easiest Turkey Burgers Ever!
One night, I made a discovery. 'Twas by pure chance. It was late and ground turkey was thawed and ready to go. Didn't want to mix it with a few extra ingredients, as is my custom. Had a bottle of Trader's No-Salt-Added Marinara. Hope Gran's not reading, but yeah, I keep it in the pantry for quickie uses. I digress. Poured a bit into my sauté pan and added shaped meat. Hit it with a bit of my best EVOO and a splash of white wine. Covered lightly with foil, leaving sides open to vent steam. Turned and thoroughly finished on medium heat - poultry, you know. Can be served on a bun, or not, topped with a little thickened sauce. No catsup needed. Delicious and proving once again that less can be more. To note...

This technique will work with any sauce, homemade or not. Like vodka sauce? How 'bout barbecue? And… one night, we used the leanest ground sirloin ever, cooking it the same way but just till medium rare. Ooh la la...