Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Back With Brock

Hello, my Friends. Please accept my apologies for the sudden disappearance… and my heartfelt thanks for your notes of concern and ensuing prayers. I do hope this finds everyone well and thriving.

Here it is November 5th - exactly two months to the day that I last blah, blah, blah blogged. Believe me when I say this was not by choice. But after a fabulous summer of sun 'n' fun and boatloads of lake house projects, I went down for the count. It is a tiny blessing amongst so many enormous ones just to be back, attempting to color each day with inspiration. 

My long, double-stay in NY Presbyterian totaled over three weeks. Not a place I'd willingly choose for a break, as nice as its riverside location is. But there was no choice in the matter. My three men rallied around me, their beautiful faces the first thing I saw upon awakening from surgery. I love them so much.

As for Brock, he's a trouper. He never left the hospital, sleeping in the car in the nearby parking lot. Imagine. He felt Jersey and a friend's apartment were too far. As for the two nights he did return home? Well, he couldn't sleep at all. A horrible solution for him, but totally comforting to me. Just knowing he was nearby...

And now, we've been home for just over a month. Brock has taken over household duties and has even learned to cook. He's amazed by how much it takes to keep the Old Homestead running smoothly. And meal planning? The #1 challenge. Then, there's work. His customers understand that he'll be there whenever. I became his priority.

Today, I'm feeling a little better and stronger. I put an apple pie in the oven. A little "thank you" for Brock. It is amazing how the simplest luxuries in life become magnified and missed, when they are taken away. 

There's a bit of mileage to cover on this road to recovery, with another surgery looming. Still, I count my blessings and give thanks. 

Now, let me introduce you to Brock, aka my Joe: