Saturday, January 22, 2011

Long Distance Art

Imagine my surprise, yesterday, upon receipt of an artwork-laden envelope from Julia. I'm sure there is no need to reintroduce her. Included in my hand-decorated envelope was a treasure trove of her amazing work, reproduced in framable, print form. The pieces date all the way back to 1940, when she was a high school senior. I sat for a very long time with a cup of java, her two-page HANDWRITTEN letter and contents, perusing it all, leisurely and carefully. I could not help but notice the sense of whimsy and fun, in much of her work. Even her signature is a work of art.

Her note alluded to the hope that my Baby Grands would be inspired by the tangible benefits of a lifetime of creative expression. By the time I phoned her with my thanks, I had picked the work that would surely be their favorite. How ironic that she sent me two copies of that particular piece.

Enthusiasm is a key to long-term well being; of this I am sure. Julia possesses an abundance of it - trust me! Need proof? Here ya go:

She had recently spoken with a friend who told her of a favorite technique to use when painting with acrylics. "Lay down thick layers of paint and sprinkle it with salt, preferably the kosher variety. Gently shake off the excess. Allow to dry and witness the resulting textures." Julia was so excited by the prospect of trying a concept that was new to her. Personally? I can't wait to attempt pen-and-ink, after an encouraging art lesson, by phone.

Thank you so much, Julia. You are a gem. Thanks, Coz Dale, for playing postman. Color Me Inspired.