Thursday, September 9, 2010

Terrifying?

Y'all know how much we love our over-sand Cape and OBX beaches. Perhaps the appeal lies in the fact that the Cape accommodations are practically empty, even in mid-summer. That's 'cause fifty-dollar permits are limited... a smart move by the National Seashore.  And, we hit the Banks off-season, when traffic is light. Funny thing is, we always detested Daytona, with its concrete-like "sand" and free-for-all mob scene. Our one and only trip there was during Easter break, many moons ago. We quickly switched shores to white-sand Gulf beaches. Enough said.

On the OBX, we've been told many a sad story about how some wild horses have met their demise. It's become a game amongst the cerebrally twisted to see if they can nail one of these magnificent creatures with their vehicles. And this past Spring, we witnessed the remains of an ancient, huge sea turtle who also met death-by-tire. I did not take a photo of that sad sight. You'll just have to believe me.

Just last night, Christian called from the Cape to ask for directions to the four-wheel drive beach inhabited by many seals. I must have repeated myself three times to my 37-year-old to "...be so careful accessing the beach, as it's where pedestrians meet vehicles." No matter the age of my boys, I worry constantly about the well being of each and their beautiful family members. Hey, I'm a mother/grandmother of Italian-Jewish heritage - 
isn't that my job?

But this is not meant to humor. Today's NY TIMES featured this article. I am beyond saddened for these victims and their families. When our favorite past-times turn deadly... well, you know... there, but for the grace of G-d. Prayers heading south; my heart bleeds.