Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Craig Ferguson

A Sensitive Scotsman
Sometime ago, I told a Scottish acquaintance that I really like Craig Ferguson, whose 'cross-the-pond brogue is filled with appealing mischief. The problem is, he is on TV so very late; I rarely catch him. When his name arises, though, I always smile and silently wish that he'd move to prime time. Tonight I like him even more. You see...

He took a stance from his comedic perspective. He decided to stop joke-telling in his nightly monologue, regarding anything Charlie Sheen. Good for Craig...

He recognizes the fragility of the human condition... he recognizes the underlying illness... he recognizes the victims-by-association, especially the children. 
He understands...

Whether we care for Sheen and his show or not, together we are witnessing the unraveling of a human being. Any one of us could face mental illness within our own family. There but for the grace of G-d.