Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Funky Filter Fashion

Flip and do both sides
with dye and water
All four Baby Grands have incredible imaginations. They continue to put our downstairs playroom to good use, as did their daddies. It serves as a grocery, gym, video store, museum, Lego center and stage. It seems like just yesterday that I made costumes for Brian, Christian, and Cousins Kimberly and Vicki, in anticipation of a summer production. With the clan due to be in attendance over Spring break, I thought to get a jump on costuming. 
Showing inside seams, lapel and outward
shoulder folds
As mentioned last week, there are a gazillion ways to dye the filters. Today's method is quick and clean, as in "no mess". I counted out numbers of filters needed for each vest, ironed and stacked them on top of large baggies. Then, I dripped yellow and green food coloring over Gavin's and Chloe's; red and blue on Aubrey's and Hunter's. Spritzed with water, till saturated; and then turned into bags and placed in sink. There, I added more water, gave them a swirl or two, rinsed and drained. I hung them to dry, with a cookie sheet underneath. Impatient to try my idea, I used a hair-blower to dry one set. I laid out two rows of five each, for a smaller vest. The center pair became the shoulders. I folded and glued, till I got the desired shape: shoulder tabs outwards, side seams inwards, lapels out, etc. I cut to create neck space and folded excess to back.
Cut neck opening
When pleased with the shape, I adorned the vest with a ribbon belt, glued around the sides and back. A little bow tucked into the lapel finished it. The boys' versions shall have more masculine ribbon.
Back - note outward shoulder folds/tabs
Possibilities are absolutely endless for further decorating. I see pockets and fringe, buttons and trim. But sometimes simplicity speaks; and when pulled apart during play, not to worry... it'll just be a great excuse to dye some more coffee filters.I hope to finish the rest on Friday and shall post more pictures. I love playtime.
Another day, another vest... it went together so quickly, using ten discs for a larger size. Note the different effect created simply by overlapping filters in a different direction.