Friday, March 18, 2011

"What are we doing wrong?"

Yesterday, I was a tad taken aback when asked this question by the proprietor of a market that I frequent. He explained that business during the winter past was brutally slow, but worse yet were the last two weeks. He cannot understand the trend; springtime usually brings traffic. Did I have suggestions or criticisms? The store did indeed look like a morgue, for lack of patrons.

The economy has continued to tank, in spite of perky little newscasts about more people working. Uh-huh. Tightening one's belt, so to speak, has become habit. Many have changed their ways and simply do not squander cash. Gas is just under $4.00 a gallon and still rising; we've elected to shop online and find entertainment closer to home. Simple things have taken on new meaning. Hey, this week's delicious artisan boule all but negates a hefty bakery price!! No longer is bread-baking simply for aromatic instant gratification. Smile. I think here of a favorite childhood lyric, "I can do anything you can do better... I can do anything better than you." 

So I responded to the frustrated proprietor, "You're not doing anything wrong, in my opinion. The store looks great and continues to be my top choice, albeit for buying with restraint. Caution is the name of the game. We're witnessing times a-changin'." What else to say?