Thursday, January 7, 2010

Not All That It's Cracked Up To Be

So, if you read my sleep-challenge entry a couple of posts down, you'll remember my thought to take Ariana's advice to go for more zzzzz's this year. Well, after my first somewhat successful attempt, I'm not so impressed.

Always, I regarded my issue of insomnia as one of pure fear of missing something... you know, life happening. Why "waste" time sleeping? After all, a sunrise is G-d's art, unfolding before our very eyes. Even a cloudy day affords us that band of light, as the big fiery ball attempts to break through darkness.

My anecdote:

Battling a nasty cold, feeling under the weather, and knowing I needed to go public last night were all contributing factors to my taking the opportunity to sleep long, even if it meant sticking to the sheets, when I'd prefer to be making a middle-of-the-night pot of coffee. (NO! I don't consume it past 4:00 p.m., to avoid caffeine-induced insomnia!) So, I retired quite early on Tuesday night, only to awaken at 2:00 a.m. I heeded the advice in the HUFF POST, though, and stuck to my proverbial guns, dozing back off at what I estimate to be 3:00 or so. Lo and behold, I didn't awaken till 7:30 a.m. Success, even at an interrupted 7 1/2 hours... time fulfilled, nonetheless.

Joe beat me to coffee and GMA yesterday morning. I joined him and we were relaxing, when at 7:45 the phone rang. One of his customers was excited to be listening to Brian, live on a local radio station... a very first radio interview. By the time we tuned in, it was over. We were ill. Reports from friends continued over the course of the day; he was fabulous... relaxed, informative, funny... he even did the weather.

Sleep? Nah. I need to see that band of light in the morning. Life in its awake and aware state is far too precious. Six hours shall have to suffice. Now, Joe and I have to wait for a future radio show, encouraged by the fact that Bri was invited back for two hours, rather than one. Hmmm; the night before will surely be a sleepless one. Excuse me, while I go rest, in anticipation. Smile.